In 1961 a British engineer would start a company from a spare room in his England home that would permanently change the history of the Pro Audio industry. This company set a trajectory for musical tones that spanned across genres and impacted every generation that followed. JHS is talking about the famous piece of gear known as the Neve* recording console. From "Love Me Do" by The Beatles to the famous sounds of Led Zeppelin, U2, Spoon, Pink Floyd, Motown, Quincy Jones, Nirvana, Steely Dan, Neil Young, Tears For Fears, and Tom Petty (the list is endless), The Colour Box is JHS' tribute to the legend and application of how a piece of gear can change music.
Have you ever heard songs like the Beatles "Revolution", or Motown classics like Jackson 5, Marvin Gaye, or even the modern Radiohead's "Bodysnatchers" and thought, "How are they getting that guitar sound?" Well, the answer is sort of clothed in obscurity, but it's actually created by the simplest practical application...plugging a guitar directly into a vintage studio console and recording "direct in." The JHS Colour Box is designed and created to allow you to recreate these guitar tones with your live rig, or in a studio environment by using 100% analog circuitry true to the design and schematic of vintage Neve* circuitry. The Colour Box is completely free from any digital modeling. Never before have "direct in" tones been available from your guitar amp in the way that the Colour Box delivers them. Aside from creating these "direct in" tones, the Colour Box covers all the ground that you would expect a high quality studio preamp to cover. From your microphone, bass, keyboard, or even your acoustic guitar, it does it all.
• The Pre Volume (labeled "Pre-Vol") can be used the same as you would a Drive knob on an overdrive pedal
• The Master Gain (labeled "Master") is what would typically be considered as a Volume control. Other terms are "master volume" or the "output trim."
• The Step Gain (labeled "Step") changes the gain of each preamp stage in five stages.
• Equalizer / Tone Control (BLUE) The tone control section is a highly modified Baxandall type that is tuned for less control interaction and more boost/cut capability.
• Highpass Filter (YELLOW) The Highpass spans from 60Hz to 800Hz with a 6dB per octave slope. This control allows you to only let high frequencies pass.
• 1/4 in instrument and XLR input/output jacks
• Input Selector Switch The input selector switch located above the input jack lets you choose line or microphone input.
• Power: The Colour Box runs on 18v DC negative center power.