Boss BOX-40-40th Anniversary Box Set - Limited Edition - SP-1 Spectrum, OD-1 Overdrive & PH-1 Phaser
The BOX-40 from BOSS gives you faithful reproductions of the first three compact BOSS pedals in a single, limited edition package. In this box, you’ll find the OD-1 Over Drive, the PH-1 Phaser, and the SP-1 Spectrum, classic pedals that work well on electric guitar and electric bass.
Each pedal has been wired and crafted by hand in Japan to further ensure fidelity to the original units. Additionally, all components have been sourced to secure the sound and feel of the original, classic pedals.
Where improvements have been made, they have only been enacted to enhance the functionality of the stompbox. Thus, you’ll find LED on/off status indicators to improve visibility on stage, as well as a PSA-compatible power section, and a reinforced battery snap. Only 1500 sets are in circulation, and each one comes with a presentation box with a BOSS 40th Anniversary logo, as well as a numbered message card. You also receive a 9V battery.
OD-1 Over Drive
Forty years ago, BOSS introduced the OD-1, which used an asymmetric clipping circuit to generate even-order harmonics. The resulting design produced a warm tone similar to the natural breakup of a cranked-up tube amp, but with its own sonic signature, the hallmarks of which are an expressive touch, a subtle midrange boost, and a tight bass response. With its Level and Over Drive knobs, this OD-1 reissue features a circuit with four op-amps, just like the earliest versions of the pedal. In addition, the diodes have been selected to accurately reproduce the original OD-1's response characteristics.
In 1977, BOSS released the PH-1 pedal, which aimed to impart stompbox phasers with a clearer tone and a deeper modulation range. In comparison to other four-stage phasers of the era, the PH-1 is said to have sported a more natural and mild sound, with a richer low-end response. You'd only notice a minimal level difference when the effect was engaged, thanks to its integrated output boost circuit. For this reissue, the FETs for the four phase-shifting circuits have been carefully matched to make the response characteristics exactly like the original. Furthermore, each individual preset resistor has been tuned by hand, replicating the same process that went into building the original PH-1.
The SP-1 stands out as one of the more esoteric pedals in the BOSS canon. Derived from an effect built into some early Roland guitar and bass amps, the SP-1 is basically a single-band parametric equalizer with a fixed level boost. The Spectrum knob allows you to sweep the center frequency from 500 Hz to 5 kHz, while the Balance knob adjusts the mix of the direct and effect sounds while keeping the overall level consistent. When used with guitar, the SP-1 produces a sound similar to a wah pedal set at a fixed position, but with a more focused boost at the center frequency. However, the SP-1 also shines on bass when used as a tool for cutting through the mix on stage. Originally produced in limited quantities, the pedal can be considered a rarity. This reissue aims to sound just like the original, with each preset resistor tuned by hand.
• Nominal Input Level - All pedals: -20 dBu
Input Impedance - OD-1 Over Drive: 220 kOhms, PH-1 Phaser: 220 kOhms, SP-1 Spectrum: 470 kOhms
• Nominal Output Level - All pedals: -20 dBu
• Output Impedance - All pedals: 470 Ohms
• Recommended Load Impedance - All pedals: 600 Ohms or greater
• Bypass - All pedals: Buffered
• Controls - OD-1 Over Drive: Pedal switch, Level knob, Over Drive knob, PH-1 Phaser: Pedal switch, Rate knob, Depth knob, SP-1 Spectrum: Pedal switch, Balance knob, Spectrum knob
• Indicators - All pedals: Check indicator
• Connectors - All pedals: 1 x 1.4" input, phone type; 1 x 1/4" output, phone type; DC input jack
• Power Supply - All pedals: Alkaline battery (9 V, 6LR61), carbon-zinc battery (9 V, 6F22), or AC adapter (PSA series; available separately)
• Current Draw - OD-1 Over Drive: 10 mA, PH-1 Phaser: 15 mA, SP-1 Spectrum: 10 mA
• Expected Battery Life - OD-1 Over Drive: ?131 hours (alkaline), ?82 hours (carbon) , PH-1 Phaser: ?53 hours (alkaline), ?27 hours (carbon), SP-1 Spectrum: ?139 hours (alkaline), ?85 hours (carbon)
• Dimensions (W x D x H) - All pedals: 2.9 x 5.1 x 2.3" / 7.3 x 12.9 x 5.9 cm
• Weight - All pedals (including battery): 15 oz / 400 g